Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's in a "Blog"?

Well, since it is my spring break and I have absolutely nothing better to do I thought I would write a little post... As I sit here in my 1970's retro style apartment with wood paneling for the walls and brand new burbur carpet, a huge selling point, I think to myself of the essence of blogging. Why do people blog? I know it is to keep connected, but what is the real reason? Have you ever received one of those Christmas cards that tell you everything from the promotion the dad received to the eagle the son got in scouts? Is that what blogs are? Except not just at Christmas but all year long? For instance most people know that I was a Junior Jazz all-star in the high school ranks. Fact is that I didn't make first cuts in the ninth grade and after coping with the defeat I relished the role of the lesser league. There are times still to this day I think of what might have been. I put on my Jimmer shirt and think of the possibilities if I had only made it to the next cut. But, so is life and reality sets in... I couldn't make a shot outside of 2 feet.


Which brings me to my next point as I think about how I sat freezing in my apartment in the middle of the winter, again in our retro apartment, because the heating coils in the ceiling took an hour to warm and in that hour charged Summer and I 50 bucks. So instead of paying the 50 we lived in a temp around 50. I know we live a luxurious life with the nicest things and the best of everything, just check my blog and you will see them. In real life though we are average Joes trying to get by like everyone else. And the next point is.... I love to hear what is new in the lives of my friends and family, but have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes. Is it all true? Or is it a bit better than the true reality? I'm leaning a little to the latter...

One last little tid-bit for you about me and Summer, if you didn't know already. We never get in fights and we always do what we are supposed to. I am the biggest sweetheart she could ever wish for. Every time she comes home from a long day of work I have everything ready so she doesn't have to do single thing but put her feet up and relax. In fact I think I might be getting an award from Pres Obama because I am the best example of a husband ever... If everyone lived more like me there would be fewer problems in the world....

And reality sets in and we all realize that I am lucky that Summer stays with me because although I am not the worst person in the world, hopefully, I am in no way perfect. Ask Summer, she will tell you. We get by and we love each other, but she is very patient with me….

So I ask people of the blogging world be straight with me. I love to see pictures of you and your kids and here what is happening, but you did not climb Everest, weren't the player of the year in your dodge ball tournament, or the star quarterback of your football team...
Thanks for letting me be straight with you…

Love you lots!


Jake


P.S. This was inspired by a conversation I had with some good people over Thanksgiving. I dedicate it to them. Sorry it took so long to be blogged about.

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

hahaha jake i loved that

Ashley Jackson said...

Jake is your sugar low? Nice picture of Peyton by the way. My wife blogs and prints them out instead of scrapbooking to answer your post now go drink some Capri Sun before Summer catches you.
SHAYE

Kristal said...

That is so freakin awesome!! I loved it.

Jacey said...

I think the same thing all the time. Why is everything on blogs always sugar coated a little (or lot)? Life is not perfect, people are not perfect so why doesn't everyone tell it like it is? Thanks!

TroutSnout said...

I haven't set myself down for a good blog-surf for forever. I've been loving reading through yours! Brings back good memories. Thanksgiving was the best. I'm so sorry we missed Jake's sugar-low by fifteen minutes. I feel like we missed history in the making!

Jake, I still love your blog essay! I hope you guys keep posting reality. It makes me miss both of you.

Shannon